Hilary Swain, Ph.D.
Executive Director & CEO, Senior Research Biologist
Executive Director of Archbold Biological Station since 1995.
Leadership for science, conservation, and education programs at Archbold
Oversight for 8,800-acre Archbold Biological Station on the Lake Wales Ridge and the 10,500-acre Buck Island Ranch.
Builds partnerships to amplify Archbold's science, conservation, and education impacts regionally, statewide and globally.
Leadership role for science networks including USDA LTAR and GLEON.
Facilitates liaison with local, state, and federal agencies, non-profits, and landowners to implement Archbold's goal to understand and protect Florida's ecosystems.
Responsible for programs, data and technology, budget, facilities and support.
Manages 60-70 staff plus graduate students, interns, and visiting scientists.
Personal research interests lie in conservation biology, agroecology, and limnology. Conducts research for federal and state agencies on sustainable ecosystems, survival of listed species, Lake Annie, large landscape conservation and the Florida Wildlife Corridor.
Long-term public role in protection of conservation lands in in Florida, most recently the implementation of the Florida Wildlife Corridor.
- Boughton, E.H., N. Gomez-Casanovas, H.M. Swain, C. Bernacchi, R. K. Boughton, K. Brinsko, H. Li, A. Rivero, E DeLucia, J. Sparks. 2022. Patch-burn grazing impacts forage resources in subtropical humid grazing lands. Rangeland Ecology & Management 84(1): 10-21. DOI: 10.1016/j.rama.2022.05.004
- Boughton, E.H., P.F.Quintana Ascencio, D.G. Jenkins, J.E. Fauth, P.J. Bohlen, S. Shukla, G. Kiker, A. Engel, H.M. Swain. 2019 Tradeoffs and synergies in a payment-for-ecosystem services program on ranchlands in the Everglades headwaters. Ecosphere 10(5)ce02728. https://doi.org/10.1002/ecs2.2728
- Kleinman, P.J.A. et al. 2018. Advancing the Sustainability of U.S. agriculture through long-term research. Journal of Environmental Quality 47 (6) 1412-1425.
- Gilliam, F. S., Fourqurean, J. W., Jeffrey, W. H., Swain, H. M., eds. (2022). Environmental Threats to the State of Florida—Climate Change and Beyond. Lausanne: Frontiers Media SA. doi: 10.3389/978-2-88974-332-2
- Coffin, A.W., V. Sclater, H. Swain, G.E. Ponce-Campos, and L. Seymour. 2021. Ecosystem services in working lands of the southeastern USA. Frontiers in Sustainable Food Systems and Ecosystem Services. 02 March 2021 https://doi.org/10.3389/fsufs.2021.541590
- Sullivan K. L., E. E. Gaiser, and H. M. Swain. 2021. Dissolved organic carbon as a driver of seasonal and multiyear phytoplankton assembly oscillations in a subtropical monomictic lake. Limnology and Oceanography 67: S416-S429.
- Fleischner, T. L., R. E. Espinoza, G. A. Gerrish, H. W. Greene, R. W. Kimmerer, E. A. Lacey, S. Pace, J. K. Parrish, H. M. Swain, S. C. Trombulak, S. Weisberg, D. W. Winkler, and Zander.L. 2017. Teaching biology in the field: Importance, challenges, and solutions. BioScience 67:558-567.